Make a Noise in Libraries Fortnight 2019: ‘Get Connected’
2-15 June 2019
Theme and Purpose
The theme of MANIL 2019 is ‘Get Connected’ - We know that the areas of digital access and loneliness have not been far away from policy and project headlines over recent times, and these dual challenges are particularly of interest and relevance to blind and partially sighted people.
We would like, during Make a Noise in Libraries Fortnight, for libraries across the UK to organise events and raise awareness around all that you already do to:
- Enable people with sight loss to engage with reading
- Help people connect to the reading method that best suits them
- Use technology to grow access and the pleasure of reading
- Create opportunities for people with sight loss to get together, and to meet with others near and (possibly) far!
How to get involved
Share the Vision are hoping that:
- Libraries will organise their own events, ideally (but not necessarily) building on the proposed theme
- Libraries will actively post on social media about their activities
Actions and available resources
Share the Vision are in the process of producing some promotional materials and will share these and social media information nearer to the time.
Resources will be available via Reading Sight. Alerts will be sent out to Six Steps Champions and Heads of Service will be made aware through Libraries Connected.
RNIB are going to be leading on the social media side of things - establishing #MANIL2019 as the Twitter hashtag of choice, and we would like all involved to use this to help us share all the exciting activity that will be/is going on.
Ideas for activities
- Organise a social event, which encourages visually impaired people to get together, or meet new people, or join an established activity group or…
- Celebrate/run an accessible book group
- Have an ICT/digital awareness session, to introduce people to online/e-services and/or new equipment
- Invite local ‘sight loss’ groups or other relevant partners to visit the library to demonstrate all that you currently offer to meet their (customer’s) needs.
- Use your maker space (if you have one) to print 3D models and items to promote the Fortnight
- Offer accessible or sensory activity sessions – maybe poetry, or craft or singing…
- Promote your talking book/audio, tactile, e-book/audio/magazine collections
Make some noise, find out what’s happening; get involved, get connected.
Visit www.readingsight.org.uk for more information
Join in and engage:
Twitter - @sharethevision1 / #manil2019
Facebook - sharethevision